PLANNING PERMISSION GRANTED
We have been granted planning permission to build our new brewery in the Town of Westerham.
Sevenoaks District Council announced the delegated decision on 15th April. An unprecedented 163 letters in support of the brewery and winery project were received and not a single letter of objection. A sample of the comments from our supporters is included in the Council decision and are copied below. The fill decision can be seen here.
The new site at Charmans Farm, Beggars Lane, will house the brewery and the Squerryes Estate Winery business. Work on the project is in full flow and we hope to complete the work by the end of this year. The barn at Charmans Farm will also house an Estate Farm Shop.
The brewery will resume its evening and daytime events and there will be a shop selling Westerham draught and bottled beer. In addition the Beer Discoveries concept that we trialled in our shop in Westerham 2 years ago, will be revived, showcasing the best craft beers available from around the World. We look forward to welcoming back our loyal retail customers.
– This will promote job opportunities in the town
– Will restore a traditional industry to the town
– Offers a tourist facility to increase visitors to the town
– Will involve a sustainable development – ie local business will provide the cladding for the barn
– The site has good communications and access prospects
– The design is sympathetic to the site and area
– Suitable road access
– Knock on effects of visitors to the brewery going to Westerham itself
– This is an established business that should be supported
– The brewery evenings have been sorely missed and we look forward to these resuming
– This local business have put in hard work in conjunction with the local community to create a locally based product that is universally praised
– This will be good for the name of westerham
– This will lead to further job expansion
– A sensitive re-use of an existing site
– I had not heard of Westerham until I heard of the brewery!
– The adverse impact of the nearby M25 make this an aesthetically challenged area – this will be an improvement
– Less vehicle movements as a result of this location
– This would assist the two existing pubs
– It is the duty of local Councils to support local businesses – this money could so
easily be invested elsewhere
– We should support and buy British
– Would remove an existing eyesore
– Would allow the local production of wine
– The brewery have outgrown their existing site
– An excellent site with no close neighbours, excellent access, plenty of space and
– Excellent prospect that would not add to the parking problems of the town
– Will allow them to re-open the shop and start events again
– Beggars Lane is a non descript bypass what better way of prompting local residents
who would normally just pass by.